Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Reading Ahead -- Pentecost 7


Well, this week's lessons are another great look at the concept of Biblical Family Values.

In the Bible, families really don't behave the way we think Bible families ought to behave. Brother kills brother, daughters get their father drunk and have sex with him, fathers sell their daughters for prostitutes, men have multiple wives and concubines, and Abraham, the founder of three world religions, has to be forcibly prevented from killing his son Isaac.

That's just the Hebrew scriptures ... in the gospel lesson, Jesus says "Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

Do you find this difficult? Do you struggle with it? I am struggling this week myself, looking for the Good News for Sunday ...

+ Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment